Short courses in Emergency Care
- Fundamentals in Emergency Care course: A 2-day advanced life support course (SA contextualised version aimed at anyone working in an African Emergency Centre) - runs in February every year, and in Sept/ Oct if sufficient demand.
- Aviation Evacuation and Transport course: A week long course for those involved in aeromedical operations, runs in September every year.
- Disaster Medicine: A week long course providing theoretical and practical learning in May ever year or on demand.
- Airway/ Advanced Airway Courses: are run through the UCT Health Sciences Clinical Education Unit (CEU)
For more information about costs or registering for any of the above short courses, please see the UCT Health Sciences CEU website or email Samantha Samie direct.
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support: A 2-day APLS course is run by our partners from Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital. For more information about costs or registering for this course, please see www.apls.co.za or contact Cindy Maree
EMCT does not currently offer any of the following courses:
- Ultrasound courses: Please contact EMSSA for information about point-of-care ultrasound training.
- AHA Advanced Life Support Courses (BLS, ACLS, PALS): Please contact www.resuscitationcouncil.co.za for more information. In Cape Town we can recommend MDinc which is run by EMCT honorary lecturers.
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS): These courses are co-ordinated by the Trauma Society of South Africa
- First aid courses or paramedic training: We suggest you contact relevant local organisations such as the SA Red Cross Society or St John's Ambulance, or the Colleges of Emergency Care and Universities that offer undergraduate emergency care training.
We suggest you contact the organisations indicated for more information. We also suggest you have a look at the list of HPCSA Accredited Education and Training Providers